Factors Affecting Quality
The quality of Secure Telehealth is top notch. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a 30-minute live demo. If you experience low quality, this could be due to the following:
- Internet bandwidth (750kbits/second is required for uploads and downloads)
- Computer speed (a dual-processor computer or a 2.8 GHz processor is needed)
- The hardware used such as webcams and microphones; see our hardware recommendations here.
Insurance Reimbursement for Telepsychiatry
The location of the beneficiary is a factor in knowing your insurance reimbursement eligibility for Medicare. It is known that Medicare will only pay for telepsychiatry if the beneficiary presents from an approved facility type in a nonmetro county light green or white on the map. You can also check your state on the Census website.
Some of the exceptions of Medicare are the following:
- Medicare will pay if the beneficiary presents from a Health Professional Shortage Area in a metro county.
- Medicare will pay if the beneficiary presents from a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC)
Feel free to check out the Health Resources and Services Administration site for more information about the exempted areas for Medicare.
Insurance reimbursement depends on the state and on the private insurance company.
You must be licensed to practice in the state from which the consumer presents.
You must notify your carrier that you are practicing through telemedicine to be eligible for insurance reimbursement.
Live video conferencing sessions are considered Protected Health Information (PHI). They fall under the scope of HIPAA. At Secure Telehealth, we take pride in being able to meet all of the HIPAA standards for technical safeguards. This is why we require users or the covered entities to sign a HIPAA business associate agreement.
In addition, the signee must safeguard the physical surroundings of the workstation providing access to protected health information.